Ann Van Dijk, Ph.D.
|Office Location:||Art Building, Room 203F|
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., University of Toronto
- Rome during the medieval and early modern periods
- artistic relations between Rome and Byzantium
- use of art as a tool of papal self-representation
- perception of Early Christian and medieval art during the Counter Reformation
- depiction of nudity in early medieval art, especially in connection with images of the Crucifixion
- ARTH 282 - Introduction to World Art
- ARTH 320/520 Studies in Medieval Art
- Early Christian and Early Byzantine Art: 330-843
- Middle and Late Byzantine Art: ca. 843-1543
- Early Medieval Art: ca. 500-1000
- Romanesque and Gothic Art: ca. 1000-1400
- ARTH 452/652 - Topics in Art History: Medieval Art
- "The Veronica, the Vultus Christi, and the Veneration of Icons in Medieval Rome," in Old St. Peter's, Rome, ed. R. McKitterick et al. (Rome: British School at Rome; Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2013), 229-256.
- "Reading Medieval Mosaics in the Seventeenth Century: The Preserved Fragments from Pope John VII's Oratory in Old St. Peter's," Word & Image 22 (2006): 285-291.
- "Domus Sanctae Dei Genetricis Mariae: Art and Liturgy in the Oratory of Pope John VII," in Decorating the Lord's Table, ed. Erik Thunø and Søren Kaspersen (Copenhagen: Tusculanum Press of the University of Copenhagen, 2006), 13-42.
- "The Afterlife of an Early Medieval Chapel: Giovanni Battista Ricci and Perceptions of the Christian Past in Counter-Reformation Rome," Renaissance Studies 19 (2005): 686-698. Reprinted in The Biography of the Object in Late Medieval and Renaissance Italy, ed. R. Olson et al. (Oxford: Blackwell, 2006), 106-118.
- "Types and Antitypes in S. Maria Antiqua: The Old Testament Imagery on the Transennae," in Santa Maria Antiqua al Foro Romano cento anni dopo. Atti del colloquio internazionale, Roma, 5-6 maggio 2000, ed. J. Osborne, J.R. Brandt, G. Morganti (Roma: Campisano, 2004), 113-127.
- "Jerusalem, Antioch, Rome, and Constantinople: The Peter Cycle in the Oratory of Pope John VII (705-707)," Dumbarton Oaks Papers 55 (2001): 305-28.
- "The Angelic Salutation in Early Byzantine and Medieval Annunciation Imagery," Art Bulletin 81 (1999): 420-36.