Mary Quinlan, Ph.D.
|Office Location:||Art Building, Room 201C|
- Ph.D., University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
William Rainey Harper Dissertation Prize, Division of Humanities
- M.A., Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
- B.A., St. Mary's College, Notre Dame, Indiana
- Hunter College, New York, New York
Completed one year toward a Master of Arts in Studio Art with Robert Morris and Tony Smith
- History of vision and visual psychology
- Sixteenth century European iconoclasms
- Basic chem-physics and mathematics of the Early Modern world as these relate to artworks
- Intersections between science, religion and art
- Secular arts that incorporated scientific understandings of the universe
- Poetry and art interrelations
- Vision and visual psychology
- Study of Nature by artists and scientists
- Early Modern European intellectual history and art
- Italian Renaissance art, art practices, and audience reception
- Art and religious practices
- Art in war propaganda
- Research practices and publications in art history
- ARTH 282 - Introduction to World Arts
- ARTH 330/530 - Studies in Early Modern European Art
- Early Italian Renaissance Art
- Sixteenth Century Italian Art
- European Art of the Sixteenth Century
- ARTH 331 Art and Science before 1800
- ARTH 486 Art Historical Methodology
- ARTH Topics and Seminars
- Artists' uses of the history of vision
- Art and iconoclasms
- Images of war
- Influences: Art, Optics, and Astrology in the Italian Renaissance. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2013 (reissued in paperback 2016)
- In progress: Art, Optics, and Iconoclasms in Sixteenth Century Europe (recipient National Science Foundation Scholar's Award, 2018)
- "Raphael's School of Athens: ‘Theologians reconciling philosophy and astrology'." Memoirs of the American Academy Rome, 2016.
- "The Sala dei Pontefici Vault: Raphael's Workshop and Napoleon's Troops." Memoirs of the American Academy Rome, 2004.
- "The Horoscope(s) for St. Peter's Basilica, Rome, 1506," Isis: the Journal of the History of Science and its Cultural Influences, 2001.
- "Caprarola's Sala della Cosmografia." Renaissance Quarterly, 1997.
- "The Villa Farnesina, Time-telling Conventions and Renaissance Astrological Practice." Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, 1995.
- "Blosius Palladius, Suburbanum Augustini Chisii. Introduction, Latin Text and English Translation," Humanistica Lovaniensia: The Journal of Neo-Latin Studies, 1990.
- "Aegidius Gallus, De viridario Augustini Chigii: Vera Libellus: Introduction, Latin Text and English Translation." Humanistica Lovaniensia: The Journal of Neo-Latin Studies, 1989.
- "A Proposal for the Foundation Date of the Villa Farnesina." Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, 1986.
- "The Astrological Vault of the Villa Farnesina: Agostino Chigi's Rising Sign." Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, 1984.